Monday, April 25, 2011

MEDICAL OFFICER


On April 12th 2011 Explorations went to Challenger Learning Center of Northwest Indiana. I was a part of the Medical Team. My job was to check the team for visual reaction time, auditory reaction time, and heart rate. We also went with Glen Oaks. My partner was Melanie. While I was on the orbiter I had to send the data to Melanie in mission control. She determined if they were healthy or unhealthy and had to be retested.
To test for visual reaction time whoever was taking the test had to press a button every time they saw a picture of a spaceship. To test for auditory reaction time the “patient” had to press a button every time they heard a beeping sound. To test for heart rate they had to wear a cuff with a heart rate monitor and do exercises.
If there was a medical emergency while aboard I had to test and treat them and send the data to Melanie in Mission Control. There was an emergency with the probe while aboard because Annie plugged in the wrong piece. The clean room exploded with smoke. I didn’t really explode, but I don’t think I ever saw so much smoke. I had to check her for visual and auditory reaction time and heart rate.
While we were there we found a new comet and named it COMET EXPO.
While we were there an actual astronaut came named Wendy Lawrence, and the press came with her. She told us that she was in four space missions and she told us she never was tall enough for the space walk suit so she never got to space walk.
After the trip we went to Purdue University for lunch and played around in the grass afterwards. The teachers were nice but I think the teachers were trying to get all the sugar out of us and tire us out for the bus ride. I had A LOT of fun and I would recommend it to my friends.

No comments: